Thanksgiving Template

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Sorry Baby......Mommy won't buy you Floosy Sue Barbie."

I've recently began an internal debate with myself about whether or not Barbie is a healthy role model for young girls...or more of an unfortunate role model with her unattainable, unrealistic image and unhealthy habits. Why am I being a barbie nazi, you ask? Well, because. I think these stick thin, fashionably perfect, and popular, cliquey dolls can convey the wrong messages to the young girls that play with them. I know, I sound like a feminist, nonconformist...right? I'm not. I played with Barbies during my early adolescence. And it did nothing to give me a bad body image. The media and peers did a great job of that, not my Barbie collection. I'm not saying I'm anti-Barbie or any of the sort. (Well, I am anti-Bratz dolls. And I'll keep that stance 'til the end!) I'm just simpy saying that the whole idea and theology behind Barbie is slightly twisted.
Before Barbie, there was a German doll similar to her, called Lilli Doll- same height, same blonde ponytail- except that Lilli was the plastic rendition of a Bild Zeitung character who was a hooker. Yep, you heard me right. Straight up hooker! This doll was originally marketed toward adult men as a gag gift. If the original Barbie had been a real woman, her measurements would have been 39" bust, 18" waist, and 33" hips. Now, I don't know about you, but if I saw a real woman walking down the street that looked like that...I just might just crap a brick! Freaky lady.

Now, I think often times Barbie is criticized for her body image messages. Which I do think is definitely distorted; however, I think that the behaviorial image Barbie portrays is moreso of one.

Barbie is a shopoholic. She has more pink miniskirts, bags, tank tops, dresses, pumps, convertables, shorts, and tummy-baring tees that I could ever possibly attain in an entire lifetime, even if I tried. She has a "Jackson Nose," which obvioiusly, one usually isn't born with, unless because of a deformity. I think it's a sad shame that Barbie has probably never even smelled any of those dinners that she's cooked in her little dollhouse kitchenette because of that poor little baby nose. She's "perfect" and popular. There's no Nerdy Jane Barbie, or Chubby Sarah Barbie, or Bank Geek Karla Barbie. It's always Cheerleader Sue, Sorority Lisa, or Beachbabe Samantha Barbie.

Now, on the other hand, Bratz dolls, I absolutely hate. Their hideous, makeup caked faces, poofy hair and self-explanatory name says it all! Do you honestly want to buy your six-year-old daughters a doll that is clad in low-rider jeans, hooker boots, Angelina-like lips, and proclaims to others of her promiscious, bratty attitude? I'd rather not. Bratz make Barbie look like an angel sent from above.


No comments:

Post a Comment