Thanksgiving Template

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm no martha stewart.....yet.

Ever since the morning of January 23rd when I said "I do," I have been taken over by some sort of odd Betty Crocker- Mormon Wife complex. I have no idea how this happened. I have always been the type of woman who struggles to just feed herself each day and will eat the same leftovers or routine peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a week until I run out and have to resort to living off of canned soup for the next week until it runs out as well. But since that day, I cut 8 inches off of my hair, put on an apron, and have cooked more in the last two weeks than I had in the last two years.

I have cooked chicken enchiladas and beef tacos.Homemade mashed potatoes and crock pot beef stroganoff. Fresh salmon and fried talapia. More-than-delicious spinach dip, and last but not least...beautiful lemon cupcakes with fresh strawberry frosting. And you know what the best thing about it is so far...? I haven't failed a single recipe. My husband has actually eaten all of the meals and complimented me on them (whether or not he's telling the truth). Now, I'm not saying that I'm cooking at an Emeril Lagasse level of cuisine or anything of the sort; but simply that everything I've cooked thus far has not only been edible...but even enjoyable. Who would have thought?? I definately am the last one. Well, actually, maybe my mom is the last person who would have thought I'd be cooking successful meals.

It's interesting though. I feel as though after tying the knot, I was possessed by the spirit of Betty Crocker and now I am constantly filled with thoughts and cravings to cook and collect recipes and do crafts and clean the house. Unfortunately for me, I work full time, so the only time I have to do anything other than work is after 6, and often times I'm spending time with Tyson, at the gym working out (actually spending time with Tyson), or trying to get something else more important than cooking done.

I'm really hoping this isn't just another one of my crazed flashes of a hobby. I honestly don't think it is, but then again, I've said that many-a-time before. (ae: sewing, running, fishing, jewelery making, scrapbooking, musical instruments...and that's just a start.) I mean, you never know. It could be just a temporary hobby that I'm suddenly wanting to do all the time, which might pass within a few weeks. I doubt it though; especially knowing the fact that I can't just stop. Ever. By saying "I do" I was basically saying "I do promise to always keep my family fed and their tummies full." Which I have no problem with.

Regardless and luckily for my sweet husband, I was one of the few lucky young wives to be able to have the spirit of Betty Crocker enter into my countenance for now and not have him go hungry just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment